People buy meat at a supermarket in Haidian District in Beijing, capital of China, May 13, 2022. (Xinhua/Ren Chao)
BEIJING, May 18 (Xinhua) -- The Sijiqing METRO supermarket, a new supermarket run by METRO China in Beijing, went soft opening in Haidian district Tuesday, providing customers with more than 8,000 kinds of commodities from 60 countries and regions worldwide.
The company are mulling new stores for Shanghai and Wuhan as well, Xinhua-run China Securities Journal reported.
The membership-based wholesaler and retailer METRO China opened its first wholesale store in Shanghai in 1996. It now operates 99 supermarkets in 60 Chinese cities, and employs 11,000 Chinese workers, according to the company's official website.
Wumei Technology Group holds 80 percent of shares of METRO China, with the rest 20 percent held by German-based wholesale group METRO AG. (Edited by Niu Huizhe with Xinhua Silk Road, firstname.lastname@example.org)