Xinhua Silk Road - Belt and Road Portal, China's silk road economic belt and 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Website Xinhua Silk Road - Belt and Road Portal, China's silk road economic belt and 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Website
Subscribe CustomBlackClose

Belt & Road Weekly Subscription Form

download_pop

Research ReportCustomBlackClose

The full edition of the report is available at Xinhua Silk Road Database. You can click the “Table of Content” to have a general understanding of it.

Click on the button below to create your account and get immediate access to thousands of articles.

Start a Free Trial

Xinhua Silk Road
Industry

Mongolia moves to boost cashmere industry

February 09, 2018


Abstract : The Mongolian government on Tuesday approved a program to boost the cashmere industry and diversify a mining-dependent economy, Mongolian media said.

鄂尔多斯羊绒

ULAN BATOR, Feb.8 (Xinhua) -- The Mongolian government on Tuesday approved a program to boost the cashmere industry and diversify a mining-dependent economy, Mongolian media said.

Mongolia's national news agency Montsame reported that the four-year program to be implemented in two stages will help create over 3,600 employment opportunities and maintain the 5,500 jobs at present in the cashmere sector.

In addition, the program, funded by state and local budgets as well as foreign loans and aid, is expected to increase Mongolia's production and final cashmere products nearly sixfold.

Mongolia is the world's second-largest producer of raw and washed cashmere with its goat population amounting to more than 27 million and an annual cashmere capacity of 9,400 tons.

However, about 90 percent of the cashmere is exported while the remaining 10 percent is made into final products.

It is estimated that Mongolia can export 19.8 million pieces of knitted and textile products annually worth upwards of 4.3 trillion Mongolian Tugriks, or roughly 1.78 billion U.S. dollars, if cashmere is fully processed at home.

Scan the QR code and push it to your mobile phone

Keyword: cashmere-industry

Write to Us belt & road login close

Do you want to be a contributor to Xinhua Silk Road and tell us your Belt & Road story? Send your articles to [email protected] and share your stories with more people.

Click on the button below to create your account and get im http://img.silkroad.news.cn/templates/silkroad/en2017te access to thousands of articles.

Start a Free Trial

Ask Us A Question belt & road login close

If you have any questions, please enter them in the box below.

Identifying code Reload

Write to Us belt & road login close

Do you want to be a contributor to Xinhua Silk Road and tell us your Belt & Road story? Send your articles to silkroadweekly@xinhua.org and share your stories with more people.

Click on the button below to create your account and get im http://img.silkroad.news.cn/templates/silkroad/en2017te access to thousands of articles.

Start a Free Trial